June 30, 2014
Public Information and Communications
Contact: Steve Wright
Mesa, AZ – The Republic Services Arizona Celebration of Freedom is guaranteed to be one night of spectacular FREE fun and entertainment. The state’s “coolest” festival to celebrate America’s freedom and independence will be held Friday, July 4 from 6 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. at the Mesa Convention Center and Mesa Amphitheatre, 263 N. Center St., and along Center Street between Second Street and University Drive.
The temperatures may be hot, but you can stay cool at the event with the KOOL Zones that include misting fans, misting trailers and an air conditioned Valley Metro bus plus plenty of activities, displays and events inside of the Mesa Convention Center.
- Musical entertainment on three different stages: Stage America, the main stage at the Mesa Amphitheatre; Stars Stage and Stripes Stage. Entertainment includes Western Fusion, Chad Freeman and Redline, Rock Lobster, B-Platinum, Pat Roberts and the Heymakers and Whiskey Kiss.
- The Salute to America program at approximately 9:15 p.m. will feature MC6, an a capella group from Mesa singing patriotic songs, and will also feature A Hero’s Welcome with four local military heroes representing four different branches of the United States Armed Forces. This will be followed by the Fireworks Extravaganza.
- A Revolutionary War reenactment at approximately 7 p.m., 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. from the reenactment group We Make History. During the reenactments, black powder firearms will be in use. They are not dangerous to spectators but produce loud gunshot sounds. Revolutionary War artifacts will be on display inside the Mesa Convention Center.
- Fallen Soldier Memorial is a breathtaking memorial honoring the Arizona fallen heroes from the war on terrorism in Iraq and Afghanistan. The memorial will be located inside the Mesa Convention Center.
- The Patriot Car Show will showcase classic and custom cars. All makes and models are welcome. The entry fee is $15. Registration is available online at www.azcelebrationoffreedom.org/vendors.html. The car show will also feature classic Ford Mustangs inside the Mesa Convention Center.
- Patriotic Military Showcase allows you to get up close and personal with a variety of military vehicles and learn more about how you can support our troops. The display will include a military tank and Charlie Chopper, a Vietnam era helicopter.
- America’s Heritage Lane gives you the chance to walk through inflatable replicas of our national monuments, including the U.S. Capitol, White House, Independence Hall and Washington Monument. This is a place where you can be reminded of our great heritage and enjoy some great photo opportunities.
- Independence Hall lets you learn more about your family’s military genealogy, hear a presentation about the Historical Flags, learn more about the Revolutionary War with George Washington and sign the Declaration of Independence and Constitution.
- Cox Freedom Plaza will offer activities inside the Mesa Convention Center and Cox Communications will provide programming, including Cox Robotics and Cox STEM Journals educational series.
- America’s Arts & Culture Showcase will have crafts and displays from Mesa Arts Center, i.d.e.a. Museum and Arizona Museum of Natural History. There will also be a chalk artist who will invite kids to help her create a patriotic mural.
- Extra Innings Tailgate Zone will offer plenty of games for adults and kids to enjoy such as a radar speed pitch, tee ball, field goal kick and cornhole toss.
- Uncle Sam’s Safety Zone gives you the opportunity to stop by and thank the men and women from Mesa Police and Mesa Fire and Medical who save lives every day, check out their cool equipment and displays and learn important safety tips for your family. Mesa Fire and Medical will also have a spray truck to help you cool off.
- Celebration Splash Zone will have numerous inflatables and soak zones so you can have fun and cool down.
- All American Food Court will offer a variety of food and beverages for sale.
- Raffle tickets will be sold to raise money for improvements to the baseball field at Guerrero Rotary Park in memory of Mesa Police Sgt. Brandon Mendoza. Tickets will be sold from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. near the Ford Mustang display inside the Mesa Convention Center. Raffle prizes include an iPad mini and a 50 inch flat screen TV.
- As part of the Christmas in July Food Drive, if you donate at least five non-perishable food items at one of the Arizona Celebration of Freedom information booths, you will be entered into a raffle to win an iPod mini. The City of Mesa is partnering with United Food Bank and the Mesa Chamber of Commerce for the food drive for the entire month of July.
PARKING AND STREET CLOSURES
- FREE parking is available in all lots and on-street parking areas throughout downtown Mesa. ADA parking is located in the lot at the northeast corner of Martin Luther King Jr. Way (MLK Way, formerly Third Place) and Center Street. Only vehicles with appropriate stickers or hangtags will be allowed in the lot.
- The following streets will be closed or restricted from 7p.m. Thursday, July 3 to 8 a.m. Saturday, July 5:
- Center Street between First Street and MLK Way
- Northbound local traffic allowed 400 feet north of First Street
- Southbound local traffic allowed from University Drive to MLK Way
o Second Street closed eastbound at Center Street
o Pomeroy between University Drive and Second Street
§ Northbound local traffic allowed from Second Street to apartments just north
§ Southbound closed at University Drive
o Hibbert closed between University Drive and Second Street
o Wilbur closed between Second Street and Third Place
o Third Place closed between Hibbert and Pomeroy
- There will be FREE bicycle valet parking available along Center Street.
- Buses will be operating on a Sunday schedule with the exception of Route 40 – Main Street. Route 40 – Main Street will have added trips every 30 minutes until 11 p.m. This route runs to the Sycamore Transit Center where attendees can connect with light rail.
- There will be no Main Street LINK or Downtown BUZZ service that day.
Information about bus service and light rail service is available at www.valleymetro.org or (602) 253-5000.
For more information about the Republic Services Arizona Celebration of Freedom, visit www.azcelebrationoffreedom.org.
The 2014 Republic Services Arizona Celebration of Freedom is presented by the Chicago Cubs, KOOL-FM, Downtown Mesa Association, Visit Mesa and the City of Mesa. Other sponsors are Sertoma Club, Entertainment Solutions Inc., A Company, A & M Graphics, Able, Action Barricade, Arizona Ford Dealers, American Traffic Solutions, Berge Ford, Boeing, Century Graphics, Core Construction, Cox Communications, Crescent Crown Distributing, Extra Innings, Felix Construction, Haydon, Hilton Phoenix East/Mesa, Marriott Phoenix-Mesa, Mesa Energy Resources, Mesa Recycles, Mesa Water, Mountain Vista Medical Center, Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport, Sun Eagle, The Arizona Republic, Triadvocates, Valley Metro, Valley Transit Constructors, Walmart and W.E. O’Neil Construction.
This article is in the following channels (click a channel to view all articles in it):